Deprecated: Non-static method allow_php_in_posts::shortcode_advanced() should not be called statically in /home/lightenupchs/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286
Deprecated: Non-static method allow_php_in_posts::option_get() should not be called statically in /home/lightenupchs/public_html/wp-content/plugins/allow-php-in-posts-and-pages/allowphp.php on line 396
Baked Eggs with Mushrooms and Spinach
There is nothing better than a hot breakfast on a cold morning. This earthy breakfast casserole recipe is an easy way to use cancer protective vegetables and whole grains. The combination of fiber and protein in this hearty dish will satisfy any appetite.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hr and 10 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 (1-oz) slices whole-grain bread
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped, including green stems
- 2 c sliced mushrooms (any variety works)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 c baby spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 6 large eggs
- ½ c low-fat milk or unsweetened almond milk
- ½ c reduced-fat cheddar or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley or chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a toaster, lightly toast bread. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange toast in flat layer without overlapping.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes. Add green onion and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown, about 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook another 4 minutes. Stir in spinach and let wilt, about 2-3 minutes.
- Evenly spread mushroom and spinach mixture over toast.
- Crack an egg over each piece of toast. Lightly season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour milk over eggs and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until egg whites are set, about 28-30 minutes. Garnish with parsley or chives. Cut into 6 sections and serve hot.
Per serving:209 • Fat 9 g (Saturated 3 g) • Carbohydrate 19 g • Protein 13.5 g • Sodium 309 mg • 3.5 g fiber