Creamy Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Southern comfort food with a healthy twist! Cauliflower adds a creamy texture to this recipe while cutting fat and calories. Use whole-wheat pasta to reap the benefits of B-vitamins that it’s regular white pasta lacks. Credit: nutritiontwins.com
Makes 4 servings
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- ½ c. whole-wheat pasta (elbow macaroni)
- 3/4 head cauliflower, chopped into florets (approximately 2 cups)
- 1-cup non-fat milk
- 1 cup low fat sharp cheddar cheese, split
- 1 T. brown spicy mustard
- Boil water in a pot.
- Once water is boiling, add pasta.
- While pasta boils, wash and break apart the cauliflower head into florets.
- Place florets in a bowl with a splash of water and put it in the microwave for 5-7 minutes or until firm but steamed texture. This time may vary depending on your microwave.
- After cauliflower is finished cooking, drain remaining water from the bowl. Add milk and blend milk and cauliflower until creamy. Set aside.
- Once pasta is done cooking and drained, place it back in the pot.
- Next, add creamy milk and cauliflower mixture and ¾ c. cheese.
- Allow pot to heat on low for about 5 minutes. Be sure to continually stir ingredients so that the milk and cheese do not stick to bottom. (The key is to keep the temperature low enough to melt the cheese, but not too high that the milk and cheese will burn)
- Once the milk and cheese mixture have melted together, mix in brown spicy mustard.
- After ingredients are completely mixed, pour pasta into separate bowls.
- Using the remainder ¼ c. of cheese, sprinkle between all 4 bowls.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper if you choose.
Nutrition Per Serving: 138 calories, 4 g fat (2 g sat); 8 g carbohydrates, 0 g added sugar, 8 g protein, 21 g fiber, 170 mg sodium.