These collard greens are full of southern flavor. Simmered in a savory broth that results in a smokey taste — but without any meat! This meat-free recipe is bursting with flavor that will turn all your friends into veggie-lovers. Credit: Divas Can Cook
Makes 7 servings
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth ( I only used 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon applewood smoked salt (or any kind of smoked salt)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs collard greens
- black pepper
- Coat a large deep skillet or pot with vegetable oil.
- Saute onions until almost tender over medium heat and then add in garlic.
- Cook until onion and garlic are fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in vegetable broth.
- Season broth with smoked salt and red pepper flakes.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Make sure it’s to your liking because this is how your greens will taste.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat.
- Add in the greens. Green will wilt down as they cook.
- Simmer for 1 hr to 1 hr 30 mins. Do not boil. Add more vegetable broth if needed. May need more or less time so be sure to check them after 30-45 minutes. When done, greens will be dark green, tender and will not have a raw taste.
- Add in more smoked salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and hot sauce, if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving: 47, 4 g fat (2 g sat); 9 g carbohydrates, 0 g added sugar, 3 g protein, 5 g fiber, 650 mg sodium.