We’ve got the perfect dish to warm you up during these cold days! This recipe combines vegetables, whole-wheat noodles, and chicken to serve up a healthy and fiber-packed alternative to canned soups.
Prep Time: 40 min
Total time: 1 hr
Yield: 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked whole-wheat egg noodles
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add thyme and bay leaf; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and chicken. Cover, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook, turning the chicken occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part without touching bone registers 165°F, 20 to 22 minutes. Skim any foam from the surface as the chicken cooks. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and shred.
- Meanwhile, add celery, carrots and peas to the pot; return to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 10 minutes. Stir in the shredded chicken, salt, pepper and noodles and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
Tip: make ahead of time and cover and refrigerate or freeze up to 3 months. To serve, stir in noodles and reheat, then stir in parsley.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving):
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups • 291 calories • 8 g fat (2 g saturated) • 4 g fiber • 28 g carbohydrates • 26 g protein • 123 mcg folate • 63 mg cholesterol • 4 g sugars (0 g added sugars) • 365 mg sodium
Vitamin Daily Values
Vitamin A (120% DV) • Vitamin C (22% DV) • Folate (31% DV)