Here is a healthy twist on traditional stuffed peppers. By substituting beef with lean turkey, you consume less fat and cholesterol and fewer calories without sacrificing taste!
Makes: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
From: Skinny Taste Recipes
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large sweet red bell peppers, washed
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- Olive oil spray
- 6 tbsp. part skim shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray olive oil spray in a medium nonstick skillet and heat on a medium heat. Add onion, garlic and cilantro and saute about 2 minutes, add ground turkey, salt, garlic powder, cumin and cook meat for 4 to 5 minutes until meat is completely cooked through. Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Combine cooked rice and meat together.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Spoon 2/3 cup meat mixture into each pepper half and place in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top each with 1 tbsp cheese. Pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan.
- Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and serve right away.
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1/2 pepper • Amount per Serving: 221 calories • 3g total fat (0g saturated) • 61mg cholesterol • 19g carbohydrates • 3g fiber • 1g sugar • 18g protein